Sunday, April 1, 2012

Articles That Have Me Thinking


#1 Pernille Ripp is one of my favorite connected educators who challenges me to think differently on a weekly basis. Her latest post, Dear New Principal, hit home as I read the many relevant teacher expectations. I would love for any of you to comment and add your personal expectations for me.

Dear New Principal

#2 As we begin to transition to Common Core Standards, the following article, although is centered around math, brings up an important practice that we all can learn from regardless of the subject area. Sometimes when teachers work problems or diagram sentences on the board, the teacher's decisions can seem magical or out of the blue for students unless we make a point to actually say what we're thinking. What do you think?

Practice the Practices

#3 Shannon Smith, an outstanding vice principal in Otawwa, Canada, shared her perspective on purposeful homework along with a study of what students desire in quality homework. What are your thoughts on homework and does this post resonate with you?

Is Homework Deliberate Practice?

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate the three articles posted recently. I am especially excited to see the alternatives to traditional homework chart. I have seen this chart before, but wasn't sure of its source. I believe that education is a dynamic profession that requires teachers to constantly seek out new ways of introducing, practicing and assessing our students' learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melissa for the comment. I could not agree more. As educators, we must stay abreast of the latest issues and trends in education and begin to, as Heidi Hayes Jacobs puts it, "upgrade" our assessment types to match our times. No longer is multiple choice and quizzes quality assessment tools nor do they provide a true snapshot of student understanding.

    By the way, I am so excited about 'Adventures In Room 130.' What a terrific way to reflect on your teaching practice.

    ReplyDelete